Thursday, March 1, 2012

Luxembourg & Trier

Bonjour mon amie!

This weekend I had originally planned to travel to Madrid, Spain but due to a series of unfortunate events I had to abandon my previous plans, airfare, hotel rooms, etc. Okay, not really so many eventS as much as a single thorn in my side. I am only allowed to travel within a 600 mile radius of Kaiserslautern, Germany before needing to take leave to travel. Unfortunately because I am considered a deployed person I am not authorized to take leave. While it turns out that Madrid is way outside my radius and unfortunately I was not aware of this policy when I made my travel plans. But luckily for me a fellow Air Force physician had this weekend free and was looking for something to do this past weekend as well. Funny story: Laura is actually stationed at Langley but had only started working there for a couple months before she got sent here. So between her short time there and the fact that she works two floors above me in the Internal Medicine clinic, I had never met or even heard of her. It's a small Air Force world I guess. We finally found some places in Europe that neither she or I had seen and headed out Friday for Luxembourg City, Luxembourg and then Trier, Germany.

It was such a fun weekend and I'm so glad it worked out that she happened to have the same weekend free and needed someone to travel with (God is so good!). Rather then type a whole bunch of words and then post a few pictures, I'm going to share more pictures and type with the pictures. We'll see how this goes...

On a side note, I've reached the 90 day mark already! Time is flying by here. I'm so excited for the next couple months and have a few more exciting travels and things to do before I head home stay tuned. For now though, come travel with me to Luxembourg and Trier. :)


Luxembourg doesn't really have a dramatic sky line and there's not really a place to step back and get a view of the city like some of my previous photos. The picture above was a view off to our left as we were walking up Roosevelt Ave into the city center or old town. We arrived in Luxembourg around 5:00 pm on Friday, checked into our hotel and then walked about a 1/4 mile into the heart of Old Town to the main tourist information center. Once got there right before  it closed and got some good information of a self-guided walking tour along with tips on how to take the bus and then the walking path to the a US Military Memorial and Cemetery. We proceeded to walk around the main parts of the City and then tried to locate a restaurant that we had read about in a tour book. We easily found the restaurant but it looked really dark inside and there was no one sitting at the tables. Now, it's very common for European restaurants to be kinda dead around what an American would consider normal eating times but it wasn't that early so we were a little confused. We just figured it was closed, so we quickly ditched that street because every place looked closed and went into one of the main city squares. 

We were pleasantly surprised/dumbfounded to turn the corner and see a very elegant Pizza Hut Bistro and Chi Chi's!! You can't find an open Chi-Chi's in the US so for all y'all who like Chi-Chi's just hop on a plane to Luxembourg to get your fill. It was so bizarre. My blog would not be complete if I didn't have a couple food picture right? We found a great place right next door to Chi Chi's: le Bistro de l'Entracte. It's cut off from the above pictures because I was mainly getting a picture of the American chain restaurants.

 Started out with a nice glass of Syrah and were then treated to an appetizer salad on the house. It was so cool - we had shots of salad! :)
 This was a great pizza. I had Spanish Pizza complete with crispy delicious crust, yummy tomato sauce, salami, peppers, onions, and salad. Yes, I was a little confused about the salad when I ordered it, thinking oh they probably meant spinach but then this was served in front of me. Instead of spinach, I literally had a salad of fresh arugula on top of my pizza and it was SOOOO good. Definitely a new addition to my pizza's.












Coolest pizza cutter/knife ever!
Plus, to make it even better, I got to eat it with the help of this awesome pizza knife. If anyone has any ideas on where to get a set of these let me know. I want some. They are so cool.

After eating we walked around a little bit more of downtown, stopped of at a cool little bar for another drink and then went back to our hotel. We thought with all our walking around the town finding a restaurant and the bar we had pretty much seen most of the city that the walking tour wouldn't really be all that exciting. We were wrong, there was a lot more to the city that we would have missed.









 Luxembourg City has several sections to his town, the portion that we walked around Friday night is set up on top of large old stone wall fortifications. There is a 'valley below this walls for which several bridges connect to the other parts of the city. Because of this it's pretty hilly moving as you navigate over and under walls and bridges and various parts of the city. It's going to be fun running my half there in May! Anyway, our tour started right outside the visitor center. It was a drizzly, cloudy day so my pictures aren't great, but in the main square of course was another wonderful farmer's market full of fresh produce, flowers, cheese, and meat. I want to live in a city that has a big market like this...

In the middle of the square is a statue of William the Second, King of the Netherlands and Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. He was a central figure in the history of this country and city. Just outside of this square is the Palace of the Dukes.

The Place

Just a random street in Luxembourg to help you get the idea of what it was like here.
 From the town square we moved out to the outskirts of Old Town, saw a statue and monument to fallen soldiers in WWI and WWII. This monument is topped with the Gelle Fra aka the Golden Women aka Nike the goddess of victory. Who knows if  you'll find this as funny as Laura and I but on the descriptive sign of the memorial, Nike, disappeared one year in the early eighties and then suddenly re-appeared a couple years later. That's it, no words on it just that she disappeared and then reappeared one year. I mean how does a large golden statue suddenly disappear??

These next two pictures are located to the east of the city center and over looks a town/suburb called Grund, Luxembourg. In the distance is the more modern and business part of town and the Kirschburg district. We didn't make it over there. I'll be staying in that area for the race so I will be able to check that part out.
We continued to walk down the street along the bend and came to what our tour pamphlet describes as the most elegant European balcony. It was elegant even on a cloudy, rainy, winter day! I bet it's really nice in the spring/summer/fall when the plants are actively alive.
 So this picture is in the same location but I wanted to get a good angle of what is the Bock Promontory and the Bock Casemates. These casemates are a whole cave and tunnel system created within the walls of the cities original fortifications. They used them as a hiding place and shelter during WWII. How cool is that. The don't open until March, so I missed being able to go in them by just a few days. Again, something I can come back to in May. (For those of you who aren't aware I signed up with a few co-workers to run the cities 1/2 marathon in May; just prior to leaving Europe. Training is currently underway ;) )


 Just to give you an idea of how high up the city walls are! I felt like I was almost in Gondor! hahah :)


So after looking out onto the city from above we wound our way down to the lower city and into the valley. We walked down rue de Large. The next pictures are of a little tunnel/arch just at the top of the street and then a view looking up what we just walked down. 


 This is the Viaduct Bridge, and what we walked over earlier that morning and Friday evening to get into the city and the tourist info center. It is comprised of 24 little arches and was built in I believe the 1860's. I am standing in the Petrusse Valley and about 100 yards away is another set of casemates called the Petrusse Casemates (they weren't open either...)

 This is the New Bridge or Adolphe Bridge (because it is Adophle Street). It was built from 1900-1903. That building in the distance is the same one as the very first picture I have; the bank museum. The WW memorial and Gelle Fra is on the left side of the bridge.

That's Luxembourg in a nutshell. You could see most of the city/highlights in one day as this walk just took us the morning. It was fun; can't wait to come back in the spring to see the plants blooming and hopefully the beautiful sun. 

We were able to catch a bus and take a short trip outside the city to see the US Luxembourg Cemetery and US Memorial. This memorial is home to 5000+ graves of US soldiers including General Patton. I thought it was odd for him to be buried here overseas, but confirmed that he really was buried here (complications from a bad car accident in Germany in 1945). 
Entrance to Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial
Small Chapel just inside entrance

Instagram Filtered photo of just a small sample of the graves. 

In the midst of the cemetery looking back at the chapel.


We left Luxembourg shortly after and headed back to Germany. Once in Trier we quickly found our hotel and then caught a bus to a local winery for a brief tour (in German, supposed to be translated by some of others on the tour who didn't do a good job because they waited so log before translating and forgot a large amount of what she said. It was okay because I have been on other tours and heard the same sort of thing. Germans make wine the same way American's do!) We went into the restaurant next and tried several different Riesling's.
Riesling Rose; surprisingly delicious
 We got back to downtown, hunted down a delicious place to eat and went to bed. I was so hungry that I unfortunately forgot to take a picture of my food. Sorry! On Sunday we got up and explored Trier. This cities claim to fame is that it is the oldest, Roman developed town north of the Alps. We went to the local amphitheater ruins, bath house ruins, and famous Porta Nigra. Afterwards indulging in cool, creamy, luscious gelato (again, so excited to eat it that I didn't bother getting a picture. I'm sure I'll have some of that again though ;) ). 
Oh, I forgot to mention we also walked by the famous churches in Trier. The one on the left is very large and one of the oldest.

Trier Amphitheater. Once home to Roman Gladiator games; it could hold 20,000 people. The stands are no longer present, apparently the Monks took them to build their homes. Crazy monks. 

Looking out the South entrance from the arena floor.

To live or to die? If I were Caesar...of course to live!  

Inside the cellar/basement. It was cold, dark, damp...can't even imagine living down here if you were a gladiator. It would have been miserable!

Stairs up to the arena. Stair way to light and freedom!

This is one of the main entrances into the theater. In July and August, Trier has a big festival in which they reenact Roman customs including events here at the amphitheater. There are horses but no lions...
The Roman Bath house is mostly in ruins. The main entrance is still standing and pictured here.  Back in it's day it stood at 98 feet high, this structure is only 62 feet high. Can you imagine another set of arches on top of that??

This is picture looks out on the rest of the bath house. The entrance structure is looked to the left in this picture. Underneath this field is a large hallway system that you can climb down and walk around in. I'm not sure what was the point of these halls because they don't lead to any rooms or anything. Just off to my left and behind the entrance was a large network of scaffolding and construction equipment. I can only imagine and guess that they are trying to reconstruct the bath house, but who knows?

Looking up at the bath house's grand entrance architecture. 
The infamous Porta Nigra, aka the Black Gate. Sadly no orcs, hobbits, elfs or better yet Aragorn leading men into battle. ;)

Looking down the Main Street into Trier. Our hotel was about 1/4-1/2 mile down the road. Do you see the white awning coming off the building on the right about half way down the street? That my friends is Colchera, home of excellent gelato! 

Looking out of the window of the Gate onto Trier's Cathedral

Trier. 

Inside the Gate, just hanging out. Man...my hair is getting loong.
Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Happy March 1st day - don't you just feel spring in the air? It's been so beautiful here; mostly sunny in the 50's and I'm seeing buds on the trees during my morning runs. I'm so excited February is over and can't wait for my exciting trips in March and even better April!! Stay tuned. Love you all and missing you like crazy!

8 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been to Luxembourg! Very briefly. That's where we flew in/out of on my trip to/from France.

    Isn't it amazing to see stuff that the Romans built? In southern France, they have at least one aqueduct (Pont du Gard) that they built that is still functional and has a two-lane highway across it!

    Sorry you couldn't get to Spain, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunt Julia! You've been to Lux? I loved it there! I'm excited to go back in May - the sun should be out and there will definitely be leaves on the trees.

      The Roman stuff is nuts, I can't imagine how they did all that building without cranes and equipment...I wonder how they built things so high you know?

      I wish I could have gone to Spain, I will have to come back to Europe do see the Southern parts like souther france, spain, italy, oh and greece....

      Delete
  2. Sorry you didn't make it to Spain, but at least you had Spanish pizza, right? Arugula looks too much like Oak leaves...I'm a little bit suspicious about arugula. You can come pick some from our trees any time! The Roman stuff was the most surprising to me. Glad you are enjoying your time in Germany and have people to travel with. Thanks for taking us along on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! One of the reasons why I ordered that pizza! I loved the arugula on top - it was so good. Give it a try, tastes nothing that oak leaves. Maybe I'll come by in the autumn and pick some; actually I'll put them into a pile, jump in them, and maybe just maybe if your lucky I'll bag them up too. Maybe.

      I'm so glad I have people to travel with too. I'm a little to nervous to go anywhere far by myself...plus it's just not fun! I'm glad you are liking reading the posts, hopefully they are somewhat interesting! :)

      Delete
  3. VERY interesting, Sarah! It was Uncle Jim and my Sunday evening entertainment. Reminded me of the travelogues I used to attend with my old lady friends in Minnesota. But those never included food info. like yours. I love arugula. We grow it in our garden. The rabbits don't eat it like they do lettuce. Must be because its too spicy! (Uncle Jim won't eat it either for the same reason!) So glad you are able to travel. The places you've taken us are so different from cities in the US. I've read books about the Roman baths and gladiators. (The Mark of the Lion by Francine Rivers) We love you Sarah, and thanks again for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunt Beth!! hi :) I loved Mark of the Lion - so good. did you read the rest of the series, I think there were two more.

      Haha, Uncle Jim...he's missing out. But that does mean more for you to enjoy, along with the cilantro!

      I'm glad you are enjoying them; I'm having fun retelling and posting pictures. Keep enjoying them. Can't wait to see you some time in the next several months. Love you too!

      Delete
  4. I did read the other two books...really good. We love you too, and look forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,
    I was in LUX for a couple of days two or three years ago. It was in the winter too, so the city looked a little gloomy. I remember searching and searching for the hotspot in town where we'd be able to find a nice restaurant. I was told the next day that there really aren't hot spots in town. I can't imagine running a half marathon there. It is very hilly.

    Love that pizza blade. I'll get one for you if I ever find one. Brits like to put arugula on their pizzas too. They call arugula "rocket." It makes a great topping!

    ReplyDelete