Monday, January 9, 2012

Orders to Germany!

Guten Tag!!

So this blog definitely went the wayside, sorry about that! This should all change, at least for the next 140 days. ;)
I decided to bring back my blogging to keep everyone informed on what I'm up to. For those who didn't hear my awesome news: about 4 weeks ago I was told that I got orders to deploy to work some where at Landstuhl Army Post in Germany with a report date of 2 January. I was so excited; a chance to work with wounded warriors, learn some cool stuff about burn/wound care, and travel around Europe. Here is record of my travels.

Below are a couple old emails that I sent out to family and friends when I first arrived.
I wanted to let you all know that I have arrived safe and sound in Ramstein!
I had extremely uneventful flights from Norfolk to Philly and Philly to Frankfort. I was a little bummed as I went through the passport check at the airport I didn't get a stamp in my passport at all. :( I need to figure out what the heck is up with that! I then was able to get a luggage cart, discover that all my luggage arrived safe and sound and found my shuttle bus without difficulty. The drive from Frankfort to Ramstein takes about 1-1.5 hours typically. We dropped off several different people along the way so it took a little bit longer but I got to see some of the villages on the way which was pretty cool. I made it to my hotel, checked in without difficulty and lounged around in my room, took a little cat nap, etc. I was relieved to discover that there are some good US channels on my TV (I've got a ESPN bowl game on in the back round) some I'm not completely in culture shock. I've got to finish getting ready to go check out the mall that is connected to my hotel and have a number to call on of the doctors that I will be working with who is still around the base despite the holiday weekend. Interestingly, she is deployed here from Langley too although I have never met her as she is an IM doc and was only at Langley for about 3-4 weeks when she left to come over here...funny how that works! ;)

I attached a view that I have from my hotel room. I look directly out onto the flight line. As you can see there is a mix of cargo AF planes and a few civilian planes as well. There are some nice 'mountains' in the distance too. It is raining and dreary here today which seems to be typical for the weather as of late.


It's in the upper 30's-40's so not to drastically cold. It stayed dark pretty much my whole drive the Ramstein. I was talking with a fellow passenger who is in the Army and stationed at a small army fort nearby who stated at this time of year it stays dark until about 0800-0900 and then the sun sets again around 4-5 but around March it starts getting lighter earlier and staying light later in the evening. I'm looking forward to that already.

Thank you all for the nice messages on facebook and most importantly the prayers!


I made it, once again, with out difficulty to Landstuhl. The PA I'm 
replacing came to pick me up from Ramstein and we drove a short 10-15 minutes 
over to Landstuhl (if you look at the previous picture you maybe able to see the 
small town in the upper right hand corner). 

I've basically been doing a lot of inprocessing stuff: meeting my flight 
commander, hospital commander, getting id badge, taking German driver's license 
test, getting computer access/email set up, yada yada yada. I'm still waiting 
for credentialing to go through so until that happens I won't be seeing a lot of 
patients.  Tomorrow after doing a few more inprocessing things, get a better 
orientation of where I am working and a much better idea of what I'll actually 
be doing. 

I've been keeping busy in the evenings getting my daily run in around base and 
the most important thing networking with my neighbors so that I can have travel 
buddies, find out how to get myself around the country, and the best places to 
go. They all seem like great guys, which is awesome.

I ended up getting my own apartment, so I have a nice little bedroom, living 
space, kitchen, dinning room. It is partially furnished; meaning I have a bed, 
couch, chairs, dinning room table/chairs, oven, even a dishwasher but there are 
unfortunately no dishes, silverware, cups, pots/pans etc. Luckily, I've been 
given quite a few things from the PA I'm replacing but I could still use some 
more pots/pans and random things that you kinda take for granted like a laundry 
basket, rugs, cleaning supplies, etc. Luckily, when he leaves next week I should 
get even more dishes and silver ware and there is a thrift store on base to buy 
used appliances and such. I'll definitely email pictures once I get a few more 
things from the BX (base exchange) and it looks slightly more homely! 

Oh, for those of you who were asking, I got my mail box assigned today! (Laura, 
could you pass this on to ppl in the clinic like Col Tenace, Kim, Sgt Coleman, 
anyone else who may be interested? Thank you!! :) ) 

Sarah E. Appold
CMR 402, Box 2686
APO AE 09180

It seems like a weird address but it definitely should work and you can take 
things directly to the post office. I have been told that the best thing to do 
is send mail priority otherwise it will take forever to get here. 

I really haven't seemed to have a problem with jet lag, but I definitely am 
still trying to adjust to dark days (I thought VA was bad...) and gloomy, misty 
raining days. But I must say at least it's not snowstorms! However, I do miss 
the sunny mild East coast weather. And I of course miss each and every one of 
you.

Love,
Sarah

PS I should be done with all this in-processing next week and will write about 
my actually job, apartment, etc next week. 
PPS Funny story, last night, I went out to eat with the PA I'm replacing (Doug) 
and we walked down to the actually village of Landstuhl to eat at a Thai 
restaurant! hahaha, my first restaurant in Germany. Don't worry tomorrow a bunch 
of people are going out for Doug's going away and we will be going to a German 
place, hopefully, so I can finally try some schnitzel that I have been hearing 
is so amazingly wonderful! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment